Crafted Pours Top 25 Artisan & Innovative Craft Breweries in America for 2013
Key factors in selecting the Top 25 Artisan & Innovative Craft Brewers in America for 2013:
- High quality year-round beer offerings
- Exceptional beers produced with unique brewing ingredients and methods
- Interesting and flavorful limited release beers
- Variety and depth of beer styles offered
- Demand and buzz surrounding beer releases and events
1. The Bruery (Placentia, CA)
Brewer of Black Tuesday, one of the most highly sought after Imperial Stouts.
Produce interesting and flavorful styles like; Berliner Weisse, Spiced Saisons, Blended Sour Ales, Smoked Rye Beer, and a Sour Stout.
2. Founders Brewing (Grand Rapids, MI)
Fantastic line up of regular beers including, Breakfast Stout, a double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout, and Red’s Rye PA, a Rye IPA, and Devil Dancer Triple IPA, an incredibly smooth Imperial IPA with 112 IBUs.
Brewer of one of the most sought after craft beers on the market, Kentucky Breakfast Stout, a Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout, brewed with coffee and chocolate.
3. Cigar City Brewing (Tampa, FL)
Insatiable local demand for their beers. Brewer of Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout, one of the top Imperial Stouts in the world.
4. Firestone Walker (Paso Robles, CA)
Parabola Imperial Stout, an annual beer release, is a world-class beer.
5. Surly Brewing (Brooklyn Center, MN)
Huge cult following for their brilliant Russian Imperial Stout, The Darkness.
6. Three Floyds (Munster, IN)
Massive cult following for their fantastic Imperial Stout, Dark Lord.
7. Hill Farmstead Brewery (Greensboro, VT)
8. Block 15 Brewery (Corvallis, OR)
Running one of the most innovative barrel-aged beer programs in the country, with releases including; Louis le Whopper, a Cognac barrel-aged barleywine, Enchanment, a barrel-aged oud bruin sour brown ale aged for up to 33 months, and Figgy Pudding, an English style strong ale aged in brandy barrels.
9. The Lost Abbey (San Marcos, CA)
Brewer of the world class Duck Duck Gooze blended barrel-aged sour ale.
10. Cascade Brewing (Portland, OR)
Masters of barrel-aging and sour ale production.
Innovative and artfully crafted beer releases including; Sang Rouge, a barrel-aged sour red ale aged up to 30 months, Tangerine Dream NW, a rum barrel-aged sour old ale flavored with apricot and tangerine zest, and Figaro, a barrel-aged sour blonde ale flavored with figs and lemon peel.
11. Crooked Stave (Denver, CO)
Artisan brewery highly skilled at producing barrel-aged beers with wild Brettanomyces yeast. Favorite beers include St, Bretta Witbier, an oak-aged Wit brewed with Minneola tangerines and fermented with 100% Brett yeast, and Persica, a barrel-aged sour peach ale.
12. Hardywood Park Craft Brewery (Richmond, VA)
Craft brewery producing flavorful and innovative beers. Favorites include Hardywood Hoplar, an Imperial IPA aged on toasted Poplar wood, and Virginia Blackberry, a strong Belgian style Wit brewed with freshly harvested blackberries.
13. Jack’s Abby Brewing (Framingham, MA)
14. Night Shift Brewing (Everett, MA)
Innovative craft brewery producing exceptional ales. Favorites include Somer Weisse, a Berliner Weisse brewed with lemongrass and ginger, and Fallen Apple, a rum barrel-aged golden ale flavored with apple cider and spices.
15. Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery (Athens, OH)
16. Westbrook Brewing (Mount Pleasant, SC)
17. Logsdon Farmhouse Ales (Hood River, OR)
18. Brewery Vivant (Grand Rapids, MI)
19. Hoppin Frog Beers (Akron, OH)
20. Upland Brewing (Bloomington, IN)
21. Trinity Brewing (Colorado Springs, CO)
Small craft brewery producing innovative and fun to drink beers. Favorites include Red Swingline, an intensely hopped barrel-aged sour ale, and Ten Minutes of Pleasure, a Berliner Weisse aged in oak Chardonnay barrels.
22. Breakside Brewery (Portland, OR)
23. Upright Brewing (Portland, OR)
24. Jester King Brewery (Austin, TX)
Innovative farmhouse brewery producing excellent ales with wild yeast. Favorites include Funk Metal, a barrel-aged Sour Stout, and Salt Lick -Censored – a Pecan Smoked Saison fermented with wild yeast.
25. Epic Brewing (Salt Lake City, UT)
Craft brewery producing a wide range of exceptional beers. Favorites include Smoked and Oaked, a whiskey barrel-aged Smoked Belgian Strong Ale, and Big Bad Baptist, an Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout, brewed with cacao nibs and coffee.